Designation B

Designation B is the policy, won by UNTF during their first contract, that gives fixed-term faculty the right to increased job security. Faculty who have  had UNTF teaching appointments at MSU for a minimum of eight semesters may apply for a minimum 3-year appointment under Designation B. Since our first semester of eligible employees applied, we now have over 50 members with Designation B status, with more joining them every semester!

An exciting outcome of the recent contract negotiation for the 2018-2022 contract is that faculty granted Designation B status after June 2018 will receive a $1,000 raise to their base salary.

Jump to:

Current UNTF Contract 2018-2022

FAQ (link to MSU HR webpage)

  • What is Designation B?

    Designation B is an appointment type outlined in the collective bargaining agreement between MSU and the UNTF. A Designation B appointment is predicated on exemplary instructional performance in UNTF bargaining unit assigned teaching duties. If eligible, individuals who believe they have established a clear record of sustained, outstanding achievements in teaching must assemble a compendium of materials that documents teaching excellence and submit such documentation to the unit head or designee. The request for a Designation B appointment is reviewed by the unit and the Office of the Provost for approval. If approval is granted, the initial Designation B appointment would provide at least a three year appointment for the UNTF teaching portion of the assignment. The collective bargaining unit between MSU and the UNTF states ‘Following each annual review that demonstrates continued excellence in teaching, each Designation B employee’s appointment shall be extended for one (1) year ensuring that the appointment is for no less than three(3) years” for the UNTF teaching portion of the assignment.

  • How does a unit or employee know if they are eligible to apply for Designation B appointments?

    The 2018-2022 collective bargaining agreement between MSU and the UNTF provides that “during the first month of the eight or subsequent semester of teaching employment within seven years of the first of these semesters in a given employing unit, the employee may submit a written request to the unit head or designee, including required documentation of teaching excellence, to be reappointed as a Designation B employee for the teaching portion of the assignment.”

    Contact the UNTF office if you need assistance determining your eligibility.


  • What is the deadline for my application? What is the timeline for the application process?

    To apply for a Designation B appointment, the eligible employee would complete Form B and submit materials to the unit head or designee not later than September 30th for review during fall semester or January 31st for review during spring semester.

    The collective bargaining unit agreement between MSU and the UNTF states “…the next appointment shall be for at least three years subject to satisfactory completion of a major review.” The Designation B appointment would take effect as of the effective date of the next UNTF reappointment within the employing unit.

    Form B is due from the department to Human Resources on March 15 for spring semester and November 1 for fall semester.

    A notification of determination will be sent from Human Resources to the dean’s office by April 15 for spring semester and November 30 for fall semester. Each college is responsible for notifying the employee of the final decision.

  • Does UNTF offer workshops about Designation B?

    Yes! Workshops are generally held as faculty indicate interest. Past workshops have been organized in November to help applicants prepare for the January 31 deadline. Members who have achieved the Designation B distinction share their insights into the application process and answer questions. Look for announcements in your newsletters and through our social media channels regarding workshop dates.

  • What information do I include with my application?

    Some departments have individual criteria to apply. Check the Department Criteria link to see if UNTF has your department’s criteria. Please know that links change, so it is always a good idea to contact your chair about criteria.

    All applications include Form B. Download the PDF or Word Doc.

  • I heard that nobody in my department or college gets Designation B. Can they do that?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s