If you are a member of the UNTF bargaining unit and would like to stop paying dues or fees you must send the “Authorization to discontinue union dues or service fee deductions form” by certified mail to MSU Payroll AND to the UNTF office in accordance with Article 6.I.C of the MSU-UNTF contract:
“The Employer will deduct Union dues or representation fees on a monthly basis from the salary of employees who have authorized a deduction. An employee may revoke her/his payroll deduction authorization at any time by submitting notice on the “Authorization to discontinue union dues or service fee deductions form” and sending it to the employer’s payroll office and the UNTF office by U.S certified mail. Such revocation will be processed within thirty (30) days of receipt.”
This form can be accessed on MSU’s website.
If an individual resigns membership in the union, they forfeit their right to:
- voting on contract ratification and internal UNTF elections and matters
- access to Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance provided at no cost to full members of UNTF
- access to Occupational Liability Insurance provided at no cost to full members of UNTF
- access to Union Plus discounts on HP, Dell, hotels, medical discount plans and more
- access to the UNTF Professional Development Fund, which provides reimbursement for UNTF members participating in conferences and workshops
- a voice in their own working conditions
Regardless of union membership, an individual who is teaching at MSU in a fixed-term and non-excluded assignment remains part of the UNTF bargaining unit and is represented by UNTF.